- 2 cups cooked ham, roughly chopped
- 1 lb black eyed peas, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon ham, base
- 5 dashes hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 64 ounces vegetable stock or 64 ounces chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 lb collard greens, cut into thin ribbons
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot heat olive oil. Saute onions, garlic, ham base, hot sauce, thyme and oregano until onions are translucent.
- Add drained black eyed peas, vegetable stock, water and chopped ham. Simmer until peas are tender, approximately 40 to 50 minutes.
- Add collards and simmer an additional 20 to 30 minutes. Pepper to taste. Serve hot.