Recipe by Chocolatl
As served at the Black Dog Village Pub and Bistro in Bayfield, Ontario. This can be a vegetarian main dish, or a side for roast beef. Adapted from 300 Best Potato Recipes. Use Grana Padano cheese instead of the parmesan if you can get it.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 small fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add fennel and onion and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine potatoes, cream and Gruyere in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add fennel mixture.
- Stir in tarragon and parsley.
- Place in a lightly greased 11"x7" baking dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and cover with parchment paper.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake until potatoes are cooked through and top is golden brown, about 20 minutes more.