Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I came up with this soup when I was just cleaning out the frig. It's full of vegetables and will leave you filling warm and full on a chilly day.
- 1 cup diced smoked ham
- 1 cup cubed chicken breast, cooked in
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups of chopped fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook the chicken until no longer pink in the olive oil in a heavy stock pot.
- Add ham, celery, onion, garlic, bell pepper, and carrots. sauté over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the black eye peas, corn, chicken broth, stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to boil, cover and reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups of spinach, the zucchini, and the parsley. Add the pepper and simmer for 20 minutes more or until the zucchini is tender.
- Garnish with more chopped fresh spinach, if desired.