Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I make this every New Years Eve so I can just turn on the crock pot New Years Day and relax. Especially since the cook time is so elastic. The original recipe came from a can of black eyed peas and has been modified.
- 1 lb sage pork sausage
- 2 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- Brown sausage in skillet.
- Drain and set aside.
- In sausage drippings, lightly brown onion and green pepper.
- Combine sausage, onion and pepper, tomtatoes, black-eyed peas, and seasonings in crock pot.
- Cook in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4.
I've been making this for years and its great! I made it for New Year's Day dinner tonight and everyone loved it. I always make it exactly as the recipe states. Plus, everyone could use a little extra help with prosperity for the year :)