Recipe by ElleFirebrand
This is a modification of another New Year's Day Chili recipe I found here on Recipezaar. It combines traditional chili flavors with black-eyed peas, bratwurst and ground pork to celebrate the New Year.
Top Review by Jociecee
A nice take on a Southern New year's tradition! I never made chili with black-eyed peas and this was delicious and different. I did use the tomato paste to add more thickness. Next time I will add more garlic, but it was a nice dish! I made for Spring PAC 2010 thanks!
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 4 ounces bratwursts, casing removed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounces beer
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground pork and bratwurst until cooked through. Remove from pan.
- Cook onion, red pepper, garlic and jalapeno until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Place pork, bratwurst, vegetables, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, beer, chicken broth and spices into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Add tomato paste if chili seems thin.