Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1 lb dried black-eyed peas
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- Place black-eyed peas in 8 quart pot. Add enough water to fill pot 3/4 full.
- Stir in ham and diced onions, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place tomatoes in a blender or food processor, and blend until the tomatoes are liquefied.
- Add tomatoes to pot. Bring all ingredients to boil.
- Cover the pot, and simmer on low heat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the peas are tender.
Wonderful recipe. I did add a ham hock which I do for all dried beans. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe.
This dish was awesome! We love blackeye peas in our house, and we usually make them the simple way, but this was so simple and it was so delicious! We have decided that we will make it this way from now on!!! I used bacon (I had a bunch left over from another dish) instead of the ham, but I can only imagine how great it's going to taste next time with the ham in it! Awesome recipe!!!