Recipe by Glitterik
A good luck way to start the New Year. It's considered good luck in the South to eat black eyed peas on New Year's Day but don't wait that long to try this dip! This is a yummy dip that your family, friends and coworkers will ask for again and again!
Top Review by zephanie
Great little recipe, even my father who normally will only eat a traditional refried bean dip seemed impressed. A couple changes though...I only used half the amount of butter which seemed to be more than enough, and I sauteed the onions and garlic for a bit before adding the cheese to melt. I also added some chunky salsa at the end because it tasted like it needed some extra acidity to go with salty tortilla chips.
- 4 cups canned black-eyed peas, drained
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies (Hatch, or other brand)
- 1 large pickled jalapeno pepper (or a fresh jalapeno if you are brave)
- 8 ounces flavorful strong english cheddar cheese (shredded or cut in small pieces)
- 8 ounces butter (not margarine)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 3.5 cups of the peas in a blender or food processor with onion, garlic, chilies and jalapeño, and blend.
- Heat butter and cheddar pieces over slow heat until both are melted. (If they don't blend together well after melting, that's okay).
- Add the butter/cheddar mixture to the pea mixture, and stir or process until blended.
- Add the remaining whole peas, and chill.
- Serve slightly warm with your favorite chips.