Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
made this from a combination of recipes I found. It was my first attempt at making these for our annual "good luck" New Years Day meal. It was a complete thumbs up. Serve with hot or sweet "chow-chow" and you will be in Heaven, Southern Style!!
- 2 bunches collard greens, washed and cut into pieces, discard middle stems of each green
- 1⁄4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 -3 large ham hocks (also you could use a ham bone,pork jowl, 1 pound bacon slices or any other smoked pork product)
- 3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped small
- Saute your onion in a oversized pot with just bacon fat. Add your smoked pork product and let some of the juices start to flow from it (about 5 minutes worth of cooking).
- Meanwhile mix water, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper. Pour into pot and stir.
- Add the greens. Mix up after each handful. Reduce heat as the cooking wilts them.
- Continue to stir until wilted; then turn to low, cover and let cook for about 1 1/2-2 hours stirring once in a while and tasting to see if you need more salt and pepper.