Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
We always have these for New Years--call it a tradition. I like them anytime of the year, but we always have a guest that expects this on New Years Day.
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
- 1 lb ham or 1 lb cooked sausage or 1 lb cooked pork
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup Rotel tomatoes & chilies (optional)
- Place peas in large pan or crock pot to simmer (a crock pot will keep it warm all day for guests).
- Saute sliced polish sausage or ham in oil with onion till done; add to peas.
- If using Rotel tomatoes & green chilies, add it too.