Recipe by Daphney
A New Year's Day tradition in my family. Eat your cabbage and black eyed peas and see fortune come your way in the new year.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas with jalapenos
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cups ham or 2 cups salt pork, chopped
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Black eyed Peas:.
- Saute onion with ham or salt pork until onions are soft. Add both cans of black eyed peas with juices. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 - 45 minutes.
- Cabbage Dish:.
- Brown ground beef. Mix in worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add one onion, bell pepper, and celery to beef just before browned and saute for about five minutes. Slice head of cabbage into quarters and separate leaves. Mix cabbage leaves in with beef and vegetables and cook on low heat until leaves are soft but still some what crisp.