Recipe by Dreamgoddess
I had never heard of sweet potato cobbler before, so I just had to share this recipe. I found this in a regional magazine. I think I'll try this one during the holidays.
Top Review by Zenserotonin
This recipe intrigued me greatly, as i love orange as well as sweet potato. But I was very disappointed with the finished product. Perhaps the orange juice and zest could be decreased or a little salt could be added. My BF and I eat a lot of sweets and this one just sat in the fridge becoming a glutinous mess with a soggy top. I think it can be improved on, just not sure where to start.
- 3 -4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar or 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, your choice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 4 -6 tablespoons butter
- 1 unbaked pie crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a dutch oven, cook sweet potatoes in boiling water until almost tender.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the water and place in a deep baking dish.
- Pour the remaining liquid from the dutch oven over the sweet potatoes in the baking dish.
- Combine sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest and orange juice.
- Pour over the sweet potatoes.
- Dot top of potatoes with butter.
- Cover potatoes with the pie crust and pinch all edges.
- Cut slits in the top of the crust.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 15-20 additional minutes.
- Serve warm.