Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had never heard of sweet potato cobbler before, so I just had to share this recipe. I found this in a regional magazine. I think I'll try this one during the holidays.
- 3 -4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar or 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, your choice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 4 -6 tablespoons butter
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a dutch oven, cook sweet potatoes in boiling water until almost tender.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the water and place in a deep baking dish.
- Pour the remaining liquid from the dutch oven over the sweet potatoes in the baking dish.
- Combine sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, orange zest and orange juice.
- Pour over the sweet potatoes.
- Dot top of potatoes with butter.
- Cover potatoes with the pie crust and pinch all edges.
- Cut slits in the top of the crust.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 15-20 additional minutes.
- Serve warm.
This recipe intrigued me greatly, as i love orange as well as sweet potato. But I was very disappointed with the finished product. Perhaps the orange juice and zest could be decreased or a little salt could be added. My BF and I eat a lot of sweets and this one just sat in the fridge becoming a glutinous mess with a soggy top. I think it can be improved on, just not sure where to start.
I didn't have a pie crust but the combination of ingredients intrigued me so I mashed up together all the ingredients except the pie crust and put into a dish and in the oven. It was very nice! Could be eaten as is or used for the base of a sweet potato casserole with the pecan topping on top! Thanks yum!
Great recipe. I love the combination of orange and sweet potato. I prefer the brown sugar over the white sugar. The taste of the brown sugar compliments the flavor of the sweet potatoes more than the white. Thanks for this great comfort food.