This is a refreshing yet filling salad that easily works as a meal. I first made it more than 2 years ago, and then subsequently lost the recipe. Disappointment! Fast forward two years, and it mysteriously shows up tucked into a cookbook that I rarely look at (a healthy vegetarian cookbook. Hah!). And now I'm posting it here so I don't lose one of my favorite salad recipes AGAIN. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) rotisserie chicken, I have also used grilled chicken breasts with wonderful results (maybe two large breasts)
- 1 Red Delicious apple, cored and thinly sliced (peel intact)
- 1 bunch watercress, washed, dried and tough stems removed or 1 (6 ounce) bag spinach
- 8 ounces dried capellini
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon honey dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup glazed sesame walnuts (I have a hard time finding these. I usually use glazed almonds)
- 1Shred chicken into a large salad bowl, discarding skin and bones. Add apple and watercress (I have always used spinach).
- 2Break cappellini into thirds. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in cappellini. Let stand 5 minutes, stirring to avoid sticking. (Note: I have always used spaghetti since my husband doesn't like cappellini. In that case, cook according to package directions).
- 3Dressing: In bowl, whisk vinegar, honey, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil.
- 4Drain pasta; rinse with cool water, drain. Add to chicken with nuts. Add dressing. Dressed salad can be kept in refrigerator up to 24 hours.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New-Style Apple Waldorf Salad
Serving Size: 1 (320 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 732.1
- Calories from Fat 463
- Total Fat 51.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 134.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 28.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
honey dijon mustard