Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a refreshing yet filling salad that easily works as a meal. I first made it more than 2 years ago, and then subsequently lost the recipe. Disappointment! Fast forward two years, and it mysteriously shows up tucked into a cookbook that I rarely look at (a healthy vegetarian cookbook. Hah!). And now I'm posting it here so I don't lose one of my favorite salad recipes AGAIN. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) rotisserie chicken, I have also used grilled chicken breasts with wonderful results (maybe two large breasts)
- 1 Red Delicious apple, cored and thinly sliced (peel intact)
- 1 bunch watercress, washed, dried and tough stems removed or 1 (6 ounce) bag spinach
- 8 ounces dried capellini
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon honey dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup glazed sesame walnuts (I have a hard time finding these. I usually use glazed almonds)
- Shred chicken into a large salad bowl, discarding skin and bones. Add apple and watercress (I have always used spinach).
- Break cappellini into thirds. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in cappellini. Let stand 5 minutes, stirring to avoid sticking. (Note: I have always used spaghetti since my husband doesn't like cappellini. In that case, cook according to package directions).
- Dressing: In bowl, whisk vinegar, honey, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil.
- Drain pasta; rinse with cool water, drain. Add to chicken with nuts. Add dressing. Dressed salad can be kept in refrigerator up to 24 hours.