Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Vegetable'
- 2 lbs tiny new potatoes, of uniform size (fingerlings, red potatoes, white potatoes)
- fresh ground black pepper
- sugar, a pinch
- 2 cups shelled young English peas
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 -6 green onions, white and tender green parts, thinly sliced
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan with enough water to cover by 2 inches.
- Add large pinches of salt and sugar.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil over high heat.
- Decrease heat to medium and cook at a bubbling simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are just tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Test with a fork; the fork should meet with some resistance, but pierce the potatoes easily; do not let the potatoes overcook, or they will become watery and fall apart.
- Drain the potatoes; can peel or leave unpeeled.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan 3/4 full of water to a rapid boil.
- Add pinches of salt and sugar and the peas, and blanch until they turn bright green, about 30 seconds.
- Drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking and set the color.
- In a heavy frying pan, melt the butter with the olive oil over med-low heat.
- Add the green onions and let them wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and peas and toss together until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve at once.