Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Modified from Bon Appetit. The original recipe called for 1/2 tsp smoked paprika for the aioli, but I thought that was a bit too smoky, thus my change.
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled saffron thread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hungarian hot paprika
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 small fingerling potatoes or 12 small yukon gold potatoes or 12 small red potatoes, unpeeled
- fleur de sel (fine French sea salt)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Bring 1 tablespoon water to boil in small saucepan. Add saffron. Remove from heat.
- Cover and let steep 15 minutes.
- Mix in paprika, then mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. (Aioli can be made 2 days ahead. Cover; chill.)
- Place potatoes in pot with enough cold salted water to cover.
- Bring to boil and cook until just tender, about 20-25 minutes. Drain. Cool slightly.
- Press gently on potatoes to split skins and crack open. Sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- Place 2 potatoes on each of 6 plates.
- Drizzle with saffron aioli; sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
These would make great tapas. I had them as a first course to burritos. I added a little extra garlic to the aioli and thinned it out just a bit. I can't wait to have the left overs for lunch tomorrow!