Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the magazine Cooking Pleasures. A fancy side dish for your Thanksgiving meal.
- 2 large leeks, thinly sliced (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup fresh vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bliss potatoes, unpeeled (or red or new potatoes, any small thin-skinned potatoes)
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place the leeks, stock, butter and saffron threads in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat and gently boil 10-15 minutes or until the liquid evaporates and leeks are tender. Watch pot carefully! Remove from heat and cover.
- Approximately 30 minutes before serving, place the new potatoes in a large pan; add 1 tablespoon of salt and add enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat; boiling 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Reheat the leeks over medium heat. Stir in the heavy cream and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer, DO NOT boil. Drain the cooked potatoes and add to the leek mixture. Toss the ingredients gently to combine.