Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
The balsamic butter mixture turns these potatoes a nice, dark brown, and is delicious! You can make the butter ahead of time, chill it, then re-warm (30 sec in the microwave) and toss it with the potatoes just before serving. From Cooking Light, March 2005.
- 2⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon tricolor pepper
- 4 lbs new potatoes (small red or white waxy new potatoes) or 4 lbs fingerling potatoes, cleaned well
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons basil, finely chopped fresh french or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parsley
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the vinegar to a boil; reduce the temperature to low and simmer until the vinegar is reduced to 2 tablespoons of liquid - it will be thick and syrupy and will take about 10 minutes.
- Pour reduced vinegar into another bowl and let cool completely.
- While vinegar is cooling, place the potatoes in a saucepan and add water to cover; bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes or until tender, then drain.
- While potatoes are cooking, to the cooled reduced vinegar add the melted butter, chopped shallots, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and black pepper, whisk well to incorporate and set aside.
- Cut the drained cooked potatoes in half (or 3rds diagonally, if using fingerlings), and place in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt over the potatoes, toss, then add the butter mixture and basil or parsley and toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately.
My son (age 1 1/2) and I loved this recipe, my DH and DD age 3 thought is was wierd, but since I am rating this I give it 5 stars, it has a unique flavor, and the potatoes were moist and tasty.
Made this as a side to some oven bbq ribs for Valentines dinner. Most excellent flavor - will definately make again!
Excellent side dish. We served with Honey Mustard Salmon, a green salad and broccoli with cheese sauce. A very nice light dinner. I did have to make my vinegar reduction twice as I burnt mine the first time. Great with mild flavored dish as the vinegar does have an intense taste. I used parsley to finish my dish and it was perfect, this will be made again at our house for sure. WW pts - 5.