1/4 Photos of New Potatoes With Balsamic and Shallot Butter
The balsamic butter mixture turns these potatoes a nice, dark brown, and is delicious! You can make the butter ahead of time, chill it, then re-warm (30 sec in the microwave) and toss it with the potatoes just before serving. From Cooking Light, March 2005.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or 1/8 teaspoon tricolor pepper
- 4 lbs new potatoes (small red or white waxy new potatoes) or 4 lbs fingerling potatoes, cleaned well
- 1 1/2 tablespoons basil, finely chopped fresh french or 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley
- 1In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring the vinegar to a boil; reduce the temperature to low and simmer until the vinegar is reduced to 2 tablespoons of liquid - it will be thick and syrupy and will take about 10 minutes.
- 2Pour reduced vinegar into another bowl and let cool completely.
- 3While vinegar is cooling, place the potatoes in a saucepan and add water to cover; bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes or until tender, then drain.
- 4While potatoes are cooking, to the cooled reduced vinegar add the melted butter, chopped shallots, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and black pepper, whisk well to incorporate and set aside.
- 5Cut the drained cooked potatoes in half (or 3rds diagonally, if using fingerlings), and place in a serving bowl.
- 6Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt over the potatoes, toss, then add the butter mixture and basil or parsley and toss gently to coat.
- 7Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Potatoes With Balsamic and Shallot Butter
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.3
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 231.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 4.8 g