Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A Tapas recipe. Serve with toothpicks.
- 1 lb new potato
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 dried red chilies, crushed
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Steam potatoes over boiling water till tender about 30 minutes.
- Place garlic, chilies, paprika, and sherry in a mortar and pestle and make a paste.
- Add oil slowly while grinding to work it into the paste.
- Serve potatoes on a warm serving dish with sauce in a boat to dip the potatoes in to.
We really liked this recipe (although my arm aches from all the pounding!), but the large quantity of smoked paprika gave it a slightly odd, almost metallic flavour. It was excellent when served as part of a tapas selection. We found that the potato-in-sauce combination went particularly well with a soft goat's cheese, for example. And it was fabulous when eaten in conjunction with Recipe #10349. Next time, I might reduce the amount of smoked paprika - however, the wonderful combination with sweet onions makes me wonder whether I should have used a sweet sherry instead of a fino, and I think this might be worth a try instead of cutting back on the paprika. The recipe didn't state what sort was needed, and having tried it, I think sweet or cream sherry is definitely the way to go. Thanks for a good recipe.