1/2 Photos of New Potatoes in Spinach Sauce
this is similar to saag paneer, which i love to eat in indian restaurants. from food and wine, this is very easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, scrubbed (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 lbs Baby Spinach
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons peeled minced fresh ginger
- 2 jalapenos, minced with some seeds
- 3 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, plus
- cilantro leaf, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- cherry tomatoes, quartered, for garnish
- 1Put the potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil.
- 2Boil over moderate heat until tender when pierced with a knife, about 25 minutes.
- 3Drain and let cool, then halve the potatoes.
- 4Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, bring the water to a boil.
- 5Working in batches, add the spinach by handfuls and cook over moderately high heat until wilted.
- 6Using tongs, transfer the spinach to a colander and repeat with the remaining spinach.
- 7Squeeze the spinach dry, then transfer it to a food processor and puree.
- 8Wipe out the skillet.
- 9Heat the oil in the same skillet.
- 10Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes.
- 11Add the garlic, ginger and jalapeños and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- 12Add the chopped tomatoes and cilantro and cook over moderate heat until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- 13Add the coriander, cumin, paprika and garam masala to the skillet and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- 14Slowly stir in the yogurt.
- 15Add the potatoes and a large pinch of salt, cover and cook over moderately low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 16Add the pureed spinach and stir well.
- 17Cover and simmer for 10 minutes to blend the flavors.
- 18Season with salt.
- 19Transfer the potatoes and spinach to a platter or bowl, garnish with the cilantro leaves and cherry tomatoes and serve.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Potatoes in Spinach Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.4
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 3.9 mg
- Sodium 154.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 10.9 g