Recipe by carole in orlando
This recipe was given to me by my Mother-in-law who raised 9 children and taught school for 40 years and didn't have much time to cook. It remains a family favorite with my children. Last night I had no broth, so I mixed Lipton's Garlic and Herb soup (1 packet) and 4 cups of water and it was wonderful, really added richness to the broth.
Top Review by Lookin' Good Cook
This was delicious the first day and as leftovers the next! Served with sliced garden tomatoes. Layered in the crockpot potatoes cut into two-inch cubes, snapped green beans, cut up sweet onion, package of ham cubes drained. Poured one box of low sodium chicken both over top and let it cook for 6 hours on high. Heaven!
- 8 red potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen green beans (or fresh)
- 1 large onion, cut into about eight wedges
- 2 cups ham, cut into bite sized pieces
- vegetable broth or chicken broth
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- I cook this in a crockpot all day, but may be cooked in a dutch oven on the stove, also.
- Add all the ingredients and cover, cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- If cooking on the stove you may need more broth, but the crockpot makes broth as it cooks, so you shouldn't need any more.
- Use your own judgement on the amount of broth.
- Serve with fresh, sliced tomatoes and corn bread for a great Southern meal.