This recipe was given to me by my Mother-in-law who raised 9 children and taught school for 40 years and didn't have much time to cook. It remains a family favorite with my children. Last night I had no broth, so I mixed Lipton's Garlic and Herb soup (1 packet) and 4 cups of water and it was wonderful, really added richness to the broth.
- I cook this in a crockpot all day, but may be cooked in a dutch oven on the stove, also.
- Add all the ingredients and cover, cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- If cooking on the stove you may need more broth, but the crockpot makes broth as it cooks, so you shouldn't need any more.
- Use your own judgement on the amount of broth.
- Serve with fresh, sliced tomatoes and corn bread for a great Southern meal.
This was delicious the first day and as leftovers the next! Served with sliced garden tomatoes. Layered in the crockpot potatoes cut into two-inch cubes, snapped green beans, cut up sweet onion, package of ham cubes drained. Poured one box of low sodium chicken both over top and let it cook for 6 hours on high. Heaven!
Delicious. 8 hours was too long though; my frozen beans turned very mushy. I used a smoked ham hock and it flavored everything very nicely. Next time I'll stick with one can of broth- even that will be more than enough I think.
Wonderful and so easy! I made this in the crockpot and the house smelled so good. I followed your instructions using the chicken broth and it was so good. The next time I make it (and there WILL be a next time) I will try your suggestion using the Lipton's soup mix. However, the recipe as it stands is WONDERFUL the way it is. Carole, thank you so much for sharing a great recipe.