Created for Craze-E Salad Contest; sub category is --Picnic Salad at the Park. This is a happy marriage of two favorite recipes: potato salad and avocado dressing. And of the course, the bacon and hard cooked eggs make it perfect!
- 3 lbs potatoes, new white, cleaned but not peeled
- 1 avocado, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, peeled, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, flat leaf, leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 dashes fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, hard cooked, peeled and diced
- 4 slices bacon, thick sliced, cooked, cooled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet peas, if frozen then thaw, if fresh, cook until tender but not mushy
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- salt and pepper, if desired
- Boil potatoes and cook until fork tender. In meantime prepare dressing by combining avocado, cider, mustard, olive oil, shallot, tarragon, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper in food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Drain and cool potatoes on paper towel lined baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, combine cooled potatoes, salad dressing, eggs, bacon, peas and green onions.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
I had want to make green goddess dressing for the contest and made other recipe instead. When I saw this having a green dressing it was my first choice! It has a healthy fat which I opt for compared to the heavy laden fats in mayo.I halved the recipe using red new potatoes that I 1/4`d. Loved all the herbs which I upped a bit. I did use 2 eggs because we enjoy eggy potato salad.
I took this along with another contest entry for the 4th of July party and asked people to rate it. They rated this salad 5 out of 5. They thought the taste was creamy and loved the fact that creaminess came from avocado and not mayo. The addition of bacon was very nice. I made two changes to the recipe though. I added minced garlic instead of shallot and thinly sliced red onion rings for the color instead of green onion. Thank you for posting this recipe. It's going into my favorite salad cookbook.
This was my first choice because the avocado dressing sounded so yummy. This was good and healthy. I used veggie bacon and scaled the recipe down for one. Good luck!