Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
An easy potato side dish for a family meal
- 3 lbs small red new potatoes, quartered
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (9 ounce) bag baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch scallions or 1 bunch spring onion, trimmed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon plain breadcrumbs
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place potatoes and salt in large saucepan. Add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil; simmer 8 minutes. Just before draining, add spinach. Drain.
- Sauce: In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add scallions; cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle flour over scallions and whisk to blend. In 2 additions, whisk in warm milk until smooth. Add salt, pepper, cayenne and nutmeg. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat. Whisk in 1 cup of the cheese.
- Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half the potatoes and spinach in dish; spoon half the sauce over. Sprinkle with half the remaining cheese. Top with remaining potatoes and sauce. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes. Top with bread crumbs. Bake 10 minutes more until browned. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes.
This is very good and healthy side dish.i made this first time for Easter with cornish hen and it was hit!! This makes a lot and very good heated up.