Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
A German recipe in the 'modern' tradition. Delicious summer eating. Adapted from Modern German Cooking.
- 24 ounces baby new potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
- 1⁄2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons oil-and-vinegar dressing (see recipe below)
- 1 apple, unpeeled, quartered and cut into thin slices
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces German sausages, Bierwurst, cooked, sliced thinly
- 4 gherkins, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or 2 tablespoons thick yoghurt
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- chopped fresh dill
- chopped fresh parsley
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
Oil and Vinegar Salad Dressing
- 4 ounces rapeseed oil or 4 ounces vegetable oil
- 4 ounces olive oil
- 4 ounces german white wine (or a half and half mix of each) or 4 ounces german apple cider vinegar (or a half and half mix of each)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon German mustard
- 1 teaspoon german honey (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10-12 minutes or until just tender. Drain and mix gently in a large bowl with the sliced red onion. Season to taste and cool slightly.
- Add oil and vinegar dressing to potatoes and refrigerate for one hour or until chilled. Meanwhile, chop the apple and mix with the lemon juice. Mix into the potato along with the sausage and gherkins.
- Beat the mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream, sugar, poppy seeds and just enough milk to make a dressing the consistency of cream. Stir this carefully into the salad, spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle with the chopped herbs.
- To make the Oil and Vinegar Salad Dressing: Whisk together all ingredients. Store refrigerated in sealed jar. Whisk again just before serving. This will make more than you need, but it is a nice dressing to have ready to use on a variety of salads.
This was a really great potato salad, with the right amount of dressing. I used plain greek yogurt rather than quark, as I had this in, but otherwise everything was the same. I couldn't wait for the potatoes to cool properly though, so it was still slightly warm. Lovely!