1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This is a great salad. The only potato salads I eat are German recipes. I even like the warm ones although this a chilled version. Cooking time includes chill time. From Modern German Food by Roz Denny. Zaar World Tour 05
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 ounces baby new potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons oil-and-vinegar dressing
- 1 baking apples or 1 Asian pears or 1 quinces
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces cooked bratwursts, sliced thinly (bierwurst if you can find it)
- 2 german gherkins, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon German mustard
- 2 tablespoons Quark or 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10-12 minutes or until just tender.
- 2Drain and mix gently in a large bowl with the sliced red onion.
- 3Season to taste and cool slightly.
- 4Add your desired oil and vinegar dressing to potatoes and refrigerate for one hour or until chilled.
- 5Meanwhile, chop the apple and mix with the lemon juice.
- 6Mix into the potato along with the sausage and gherkins.
- 7Beat the mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream and just enough milk to make a dressing the consistency of cream.
- 8Stir this carefully into the salad, spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle with the chopped herbs.
- 9It is best served only lightly chilled so remove it a good half an hour before serving.
- 10Note: Dessert apples (or baking apples depending on your part of the country) include the varieties Rome, Jonagold, Granny Smith, Pippin, Gala, Braeburn, Northern Spy, Gravenstein, Rhode Island Greening, York Imperial, Cortland, Winesap. If you don't care for any of those, you could also use Golden Delicious, Empire, Red Delicious, Fuji, Criterion or Pink Lady.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Potato and Bierwurst Salad With Mustard Cream Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.1
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 66.3 mg
- Sodium 1226.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: