Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
This is a great salad. The only potato salads I eat are German recipes. I even like the warm ones although this a chilled version. Cooking time includes chill time. From Modern German Food by Roz Denny. Zaar World Tour 05
- 24 ounces baby new potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
- 1⁄2 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons oil-and-vinegar dressing
- 1 baking apples or 1 Asian pears or 1 quinces
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces cooked bratwursts, sliced thinly (bierwurst if you can find it)
- 2 german gherkins, chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon German mustard
- 2 tablespoons Quark or 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- chopped dill
- fresh parsley
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 10-12 minutes or until just tender.
- Drain and mix gently in a large bowl with the sliced red onion.
- Season to taste and cool slightly.
- Add your desired oil and vinegar dressing to potatoes and refrigerate for one hour or until chilled.
- Meanwhile, chop the apple and mix with the lemon juice.
- Mix into the potato along with the sausage and gherkins.
- Beat the mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream and just enough milk to make a dressing the consistency of cream.
- Stir this carefully into the salad, spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle with the chopped herbs.
- It is best served only lightly chilled so remove it a good half an hour before serving.
- Note: Dessert apples (or baking apples depending on your part of the country) include the varieties Rome, Jonagold, Granny Smith, Pippin, Gala, Braeburn, Northern Spy, Gravenstein, Rhode Island Greening, York Imperial, Cortland, Winesap. If you don't care for any of those, you could also use Golden Delicious, Empire, Red Delicious, Fuji, Criterion or Pink Lady.