Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
SOURCE: LEE AND CHERYL CUSTER This keeps for several days (up to a week ) in the fridge. Cooking time is chilling time.
- 4 cucumbers
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Peel and cut cucumbers into thin slices.
- Mix with the yellow onion and minced garlic.
- Bring to a boil the sugar, water, white vinegar, and dill.
- Pour over cucumber mixture, and chill for 1 hour ( over night is better ) before serving.
- This keeps for several days (up to a week ) in the fridge.
Well, mine weren't as pretty as Andi's picture, but they sure did taste great. I only used one cuke, since DH won't eat pickles, and I couldn't see myself eating that many. I still left the "brine" the same size. And these are excellent. The garlic is a must. It hides in there, but gives it a nice touch. I may cut back the sugar a little next time, to see if it could be made less sweet for my mom who is a diabetic. Otherwise, great recipe Chef Shadows. Thanks.
The humble little cucumber is the "King" of this dish and deserves many crowns and much recognition. I made this for "Saturday Lunch on the Farm" and we downed all 4 sliced cucumber pickles within no time at all. The crunchiness of the cucumber, the dill, onion, sugar - vinegar mixture is beyond compare. I added a pinch of large crunchy very course sea salt to the top of the bowl I served the pickles in, just for eating fun, but it certainly is not necessary because the taste is fabulous. We will never have enough to last more then a day or two because we eat them to fast here. Thanks, Chef Shadows for a winner plus!