Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 9 mins
From the Emeril Live episode: Diner Dining.This recipe includes a recipe for Emeril's seasoning mix. Please only use about 2 tablespoons of this mix.
- 2 lbs beef top round steak, sliced about 1/3-inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 small bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
Bayou Blast Creole Seasoning Mix (use 2 T for this recipe)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Garlic-Butter Texas Toast
- 8 -10 slices Texas toast thick bread
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cut the beef into 2-inch pieces. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and Essence. Dredge the beef pieces in the flour and then lay them flat on a work surface or cutting board. Lightly pound the meat with a meat mallet to a thickness of about 1/4-inch. Turn the meat over and repeat the process, sprinkling lightly with the flour mixture if needed.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the meat in batches and brown evenly on both sides, 5 to 6 minutes per batch. Remove meat from the pan and continue with the remaining beef. When all the meat has been browned return the browned beef to the Dutch oven and add the onions and green bell peppers. Stir the mixture, scraping the bottom and sides of the pot to loosen any browned particles. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened. Add the garlic, Worcestershire, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook mixture, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the beef stock and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer the mixture for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until the meat is falling-apart tender and shreds very easily.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, shred the beef. Add the heavy cream and cook 1 to 2 minutes, until heated through. The sauce should be very thick. If not, cook uncovered until the sauce thickens. Serve hot over Garlic-Butter Texas Toast and garnish with fresh parsley.
- Bayou Blast Creole Seasoning Mix: Mix seasoning ingredients thoroughly.
- Garlic-Butter Texas Toast: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lay bread in a single layer on top of the aluminum foil.
- Place the butter in a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients, stirring until fully incorporated. Spread the butter mixture onto the top side of each piece of bread.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 5 to 6 minutes. Serve warm with New Orleans Style S-O-S.