Recipe by gailanng
My version and not hardly an original Paella recipe, but pretty darn good. Can be frozen after cooking.
Top Review by mightyro_cooking4u
I cut the recipe in half, but still came out terrific. I used little smokies cut in half, because I didn't have any smokd sausage, used hot peppers from the garden, no jalapenos, chicken tenders, cut into be sized pieces and no ham. It was not too spicy, but enough to let you know it was there. Made for 123 Hit Wonders. Thanks for posting.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs chicken, cut-up, bone-in
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 seeded jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked and cleaned (can cook in microwave, see note below)
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb ham, diced small
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Season cut-up chicken with salt and pepper to taste. (I cut breasts into smaller pieces).
- Heat olive oil; add chicken and brown on all sides.
- Add 1/4 cup water and oregano; cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in pan drippings until tender. Stir in parsley and jalapeno.
- In another pot with tight fitting lid, melt butter; add rice and turmeric; saute over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil; cover and cook over low heat 17 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic; mix together.
- Arrange in layers in a 4 quart casserole the rice, chicken, shrimp, sausage and ham.
- Bake 350 degree oven about 30 minutes.
- Note: Shelled raw shrimp can be cooked in the microwave. Place shrimp in a microwavable bowl, uncovered and microwave full power for approximately 4 minutes; stirring half way inbetween just until they turn pink. Let stand for 2 minutes. Do not over cook.