1/6 Photos of New Orleans-Style Paella
1 hr 30 mins
My version and not hardly an original Paella recipe, but pretty darn good. Can be frozen after cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 lbs chicken, cut-up, bone-in
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 seeded jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb shrimp, cooked and cleaned (can cook in microwave, see note below)
- 1/2 lb smoked sausage, sliced thin
- 1/4 lb ham, diced small
- salt and pepper
- 1Season cut-up chicken with salt and pepper to taste. (I cut breasts into smaller pieces).
- 2Heat olive oil; add chicken and brown on all sides.
- 3Add 1/4 cup water and oregano; cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes.
- 4Remove chicken and set aside.
- 5Saute onion and garlic in pan drippings until tender. Stir in parsley and jalapeno.
- 6In another pot with tight fitting lid, melt butter; add rice and turmeric; saute over low heat for 5 minutes.
- 7Add chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil; cover and cook over low heat 17 minutes.
- 8Add onion and garlic; mix together.
- 9Arrange in layers in a 4 quart casserole the rice, chicken, shrimp, sausage and ham.
- 10Bake 350 degree oven about 30 minutes.
- 11Note: Shelled raw shrimp can be cooked in the microwave. Place shrimp in a microwavable bowl, uncovered and microwave full power for approximately 4 minutes; stirring half way inbetween just until they turn pink. Let stand for 2 minutes. Do not over cook.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans-Style Paella
Serving Size: 1 (479 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 809.6
- Calories from Fat 424
- Total Fat 47.1 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 235.1 mg
- Sodium 1305.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 52.0 g