Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A flavorful twist to crab salad. Ingredient amounts can be adjusted to suit individual tastes. I usually add extra celery and olives.
- 2 cups rotelle pasta, cooked al dente'
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped pimento stuffed olive (about 8 large)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- cajun seasoning, to taste (I use Tony Chachere's)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon horseradish (or to taste)
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, crabmeat, onions, celery, olives, green onions, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, cajun seasoning, salt,pepper, and horseradish; whisk to blend.
- Pour over the crabmeat mixture.
- Toss gently to coat, being careful to not to break up the crabmeat lumps.
- Adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Refrigerate until well chilled and the crabmeat is marinated at least 2 hours before serving.
- Cooking time is chilling time.
So I made this as a side to take to a New Orleans themed dinner. Everyone who ate it gave it rave reviews, it really showcases the flavor of the crabmeat without overpowering it. I made it exactly to directions except I didn't use any green olives as I dislike them. My grocery store did not have the rotelle pasta so I used mini bow-tie pasta instead.
Not having rotelle pasta, bowties were used instead. As the cajun seasoning adds salt and the crab and olives are also salty, be careful about adding the additional salt called for in the recipe. This made a delightful lunch served over chopped romaine.
I really like this recipe! I am so happy to find a crab salad without a mayo-based dressing. I made as posted except to leave out the olives. I also used about 2 tsps. of the cajun seasoning and over 1 tbsp. of horseradish. The salad is addicting :) It's very easy to make and would be great for a potluck or summer get-together. Thank you for posting a keeper!