Recipe by gailanng
This is the only recipe my family has ever used. You can decrust the bread, but it's not really necessary if using the original thin-crusted New Orleans style French Bread.
- 1 loaf day-old long new orleans-style thin crusted French bread, cubed (about 6 or 7 cups)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk (not sweetened)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 350 degrees (lower temperature if baking in glass pan).
- Butter 10" x 14" baking pan.
- Place bread cubes into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour over cubed bread the milk and evaporated milk, letting sit about 5 minutes; mix slightly with electric mixer.
- Mix together eggs, vanilla and sugar together in separate bowl. Can do this by hand.
- Add egg and sugar mixture to bread mixture.
- Beat all together with electric mixer. The mixture will be pretty smooth, with possibly a few small chunks. Pour into buttered pan.
- Bake uncovered approximately 45 minutes to1 hour. The edges will turn slightly brown, pulling away from pan and center will be set.
- Best if eaten the same day.