Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 7 mins
Cooking Light 1999 Serve these kebabs with the Grilled Garlic-and-Herb Grits. It's a nice change of pace from rice.
- 48 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup golden cane syrup (such as Lyle's Golden Syrup)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- cooking spray
- Peel shrimp, reserving shells; cover and chill shrimp. Combine reserved shrimp shells and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain broth through a sieve into a large bowl; discard shells.
- Combine reserved broth, onions, and next 12 ingredients (onions through bay leaves) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Combine shrimp and syrup mixture in a dish; cover and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove shrimp from dish, reserving marinade. Place reserved marinade in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Thread 6 shrimp onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill for 6 minutes, turning once. Serve with reserved marinade, if desired.
- Note: Dark cane syrup (such as Steen's) may be substituted for golden cane syrup.