5 hrs 30 mins
This is a really great soup for gatherings. From Fabulous Fat-Free Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quarts water
- 1 smoked ham hock, with meat attached
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb dried navy beans or 1 lb kidney bean
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, with leafy tops chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- hot pepper sauce
- 1In large no-stick pot, combine the water, ham hock, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Reduce the heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2Strain into a large bowl. Discard the bay leaf. Remove the meat from the bone. Trim off all visible fat and cut the meat into small dice. Set aside about 3/4 cup of the meat; reserve any remainder for another use. Defat the Stock.
- 3Wash the pot with soapy water and rinse. Return the stock to pot.
- 4Add the beans, onions, celery, carrots, red peppers, parsley, cilantro, cumin, oregano, Creole seasoning, and garlic. Set over med-high heat and bring almost to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the beans are tender.
- 5Transfer 4 cups of the soup to a blender or food processor. Puree, then stir back into the soup. If the soup is not thick enough, continue pureeing in 1-cup batches until the soup is the desired consistency. (May also use a hand blender in this step.) Stir in the reserved ham. Season to taste with the hot-pepper sauce.
Browse Our Top For Large Groups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All For Large Groups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans Spicy Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.1
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 19.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 7.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
smoked ham hock