Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Tender chops in a sweet sauce.
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 pork chops (1/2-inch thick)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- Sauté onion and celery in butter and oil in heavy deep skillet for 2 minutes, or until slightly softened.
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Brown in skillet on both sides. Remove from pan; set aside.
- Add water, brown sugar and 1 1/2 cups of the tomato sauce to skillet. Bring to boiling, scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet.
- Stir in rice and fennel seeds.
- Return the chops to skillet; spoon sauce and rice over them.
- Cover and cook over medium low heat 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pour in remaining tomato sauce. Cover and cook 10 minutes more or until rice and chops are tender.
Love the flavor of this. I had prepared this in my electric skillet. I had trouble getting the rice done and it cooked to the bottom a bit. Will cook longer at a lower temp next time. This is very flavorful!!
An excellent and easy way to eat pork chops!
I'm always looking for new ways to make pork chops and I'm very happy to find one more. These were very tasty with the sweet tomato sauce and I liked the slight fennel flavor as well. I may reduce the amount of rice next time because it really made a lot for just the four of us. I made this for the Zaar Holiday Tag Game.