Recipe by Izzy Knight
This is my "superbowl fancy food" for my husband. I got the recipe from a Mardi Gras party. Great over rice or with hot buns.
Top Review by Sharlene~W
This was fabulous! Sauce thickened up to consistency of tomato paste during 20 minute simmer, but waited it out to add more liquid as you add 1/2 cup wine at end. It was still a bit thick after that so I splashed in about 1/4 cup more chicken stock. Also, I added more Tabasco and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper while sauce was simmering. Easy, quick and very tasty!
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped,with juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup broth
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, fry bacon until crisp, about 6 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove bacon to a plate, leaving 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in (the best part!) Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic and sauté until tender, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, vinegar, mustard, Tabasco sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Return bacon to pan.
- Simmer over medium-low heat, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine and shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink, about 5 minutes.