Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is from Tom Fitzmorris...noted New Orleans food critic and pretty darn cook chef. If you can't find Barq's Root Beer, get the best root beer you can find...do not skimp here.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the ham in a broiling pan and cut shallow gashes in a criss-cross pattern across the top half.
- Combine the brown sugar and the dry mustard and pat it all over the ham.
- Put the ham in the oven.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a simmer, and cook until the liquid volumne is reduced to about one cup.
- Spoon some of the glaze over the top of the ham.
- Spoon more glaze, at 15-minute intervals, until it is all gone.
- Continue baking until the ham reaches an internal temperature of 160-degrees on a meat thermometer.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for about one hour before carving.
FANTASTIC!! I don't think I need to say anymore!! My 3 year old and husband were chanting, HAM, HAM, HAM (no joke!) What a zip. I only had trouble with the steak sauce you asked for. I substituted chipolte tabasco sauce. This is the best...bar none ham I have EVER had.
Very tasty! My family loved and said it was the best ham they had.
Tabasco Caribbean style steak sauce UPC 001210009127<br/><br/>I found it at Ingles in Atlanta, GA area...hope this helps. You can order online.