1/2 Photos of New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
3 hrs 40 mins
Rev. Roy's Note:
I found this recipe in "The New Orleans CookBook" by Rima & Richard Collin. It was an incredible hit the first night with family and friends, and it gets even better the next day. I was unable to find pickled pork and used salt pork instead. Delete the salt from the recipe if you make this substitution. I highly recommend pan-baked corn bread on the side with this one (see New Orleans Skillet Baked Cornbread).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots or 1/2 cup scallion top
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 1/3 tablespoons finely minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 lb seasoning baked ham, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 lb pickled pork, cut into large chunks
- 1 large ham bone, with some meat on it 4 to 5 inches in length
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper pod
- 2 whole bay leaves, broken into quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 quarts cold water, approximately
- steamed rice or boiled rice
- 1Drain soaked beans in a colander and place them with all other ingredients except rice into a heavy 8-10 quart pot, adding just enough cold water to cover.
- 2Bring to boil over high heat, then lower heat and simmer uncovered for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until beans are tender and a thick, natural gravy has formed.
- 3Add 1 cup of water toward end of cooking if it is looking too dry for your tastes.
- 4Stir about every half hour just once or twice around the pot.
- 5When beans are cooked turn off heat.
- 6To serve, ladle about 1 1/2 cups of beans, meat and gravy over a serving of rice.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (352 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.1
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 1788.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 54.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red pepper pods