Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Fill a large heavy duty pot with water and bring water to a boil.
- Remove paper label from condensed milk can.
- Immerse the unopened condensed milk can into the boiling water.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover pot with lid.
- Cook for 3 hours.
- Occasionally check pot to make sure it doesn't boil dry.
- Remove can from water with tongs.
- Place in freezer for one hour, to cool.
- Combine slightly beaten eggs with syrup, sugar, margarine, vanilla and salt.
- Mix well.
- Add chopped pecans and mix well, again.
- Pour pecan pie mixture into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake@ 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
- Filling is done when knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- When done, remove pie from oven and let cool for 1 hour.
- Open cooled condensed milk can.
- Empty contents into small bowl and stir well.
- Pour the carmelized milk onto the top of the pecan pie and spread over the pie.
- Garnish with pecan halves (optional).
- Serve with whipped topping (optional).
- (note) if salted pecans are used, omit the 1/8 tsp.
- of salt from the recipe.