Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
Growing up in New Orleans, we used to go to the K&B for a nectar ice cream soda. Make this syrup and add it to some seltzer water with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream! I think you'll love it, a different ice cream soda.
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- Bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat.
- Let boil about 10 seconds and remove from the heat, let it cool.
- Add vanilla, almond extract, and coloring, stir well.
- Keep in the refrigerator.
I've never been to New Orleans, so I can't say whether this tastes authentic, but I am sure it does, since Trinkets grew up there. I like it. It's vert nice as a sauce over ice cream, and I just tried the ice cream soda, and it was very good as well.
I did a second half-batch and added 1 tsp vanilla and no almond, and with fizzy water added, it makes an excellent Cream Soda-almost better than the beloved and mourned Barq's Cream soda of my childhood.