Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Note The dressing can include a mashed anchovy. The recipe is based off the Central Market recipe. Adopted 7/28 Make at your own risk until I work with it. It might be like the wonderful potatoes. Fantastic or .. not. If you make it please give feedback and tell me what you liked and what you did so I can use this to improve the recipe if needed.
For the olive salad
- 2⁄3 cup green olives, coarsely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup black olives, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cocktail onion, drain and chop
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
For the sandwich
- 1 round loaf muffuletta bread or 1 Italian bread or 1 French bread
- 1⁄4 lb mortadella, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb ham, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb hard genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb provolone cheese, sliced
- OLIVE SALAD:.
- If using Italian bread use the one with the sesame seeds on top. If you use French bread it is a Liuzza's-style "Frenchuletta" make sure the bread is crisp crusted.
- Olive Salad:.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Place in tightly covered container in refrigerator and marinate for at least 12 hours before using.
- Split your loaf lenghtwise then spread with olive salad.
- Place meats and cheeses evenly on bottom half Close. Cut into quarters.
- NOTE: Feel free to play with the amounts. Each person as a different taste.
There are several ingredients *missing* from a traditional NOLA muff'...you need the pickled veggies-Gardiniera(cauliflower, carrots, celery,pepperoncini). If you can't find, or don't have on hand...finely slice(chop) those veggies and pickle in the red wine vinegar for a few days--or if time is a factor, add more vinegar to the basic recipe, and let the whole kaboodle marinate for a day or so longer than stated. I always put fresh oven roasted red peppers in mine -up to 1/2 cup for this batch amount. A little fresh basil in the mix, or on the sandwich ..that is it.