Prep 1 hr
Cook 3 hrs
In 'Southern Pies' by Nancie McDermott
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Bake graham cracker crust according to package directions.
- In a saucepan or the base of a double boiler, bring about 3 inches of water to a gentle boil.
- In a heatproof metal bowl or the top of a double boiler, combine the sugar and cornstarch, using a whisk to mix them well.
- Add the half-and-half, egg yolks, and lemon rind and stir well.
- Place the container over the water and adjust the heat to maintain a lively simmer.
- Stir with a whisk until the filling is very warm.
- Stir in the unflavored gelatin and cook, stirring often, until the mixture thickens to the texture of very thick cream.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature, and then cover and refrigerate until the mixture is very cold.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the cream until it is very thick and holds fairly firm peaks.
- Add the whipped cream and lemon juice to the filling, and fold gently to combine everything evenly and well.
- Pile the lemon filling into the pie shell and refrigerate until very cold and firm, about 3 hours.
- Serve cold.