Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from "Green Hills Garden Club Cooks...Favorite Recipes from Vicksburg, MS" (Sheila O'Connor). Yummy breakfast dish!
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 loaves French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup strawberry, sliced
- 1 cup kiwi, sliced
- In a saucepan, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter.
- Cook until butter is melted and the mixture is bubbly.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13-inch pan.
- Arrange the bread in the pan, making 2 layers.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture over the bread. (Can be refigerated over night if desired).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Lift edges of the bread with a spatula, and invert onto a serving plate.
- Spoon the sour cream over the toast, and alternate kiwi and strawberries on top.
- Serve immediately.
- I used strawberries only.
This was excellent! The only thing I changed was to reduce the amount of brown sugar to 1/2 cup and replace it with 1/2 cup Splenda since we are trying to reduce our sugars. Thanks for sharing, SouthernBelle.