Recipe by SouthernBell2627
This recipe is from "Green Hills Garden Club Cooks...Favorite Recipes from Vicksburg, MS" (Sheila O'Connor). Yummy breakfast dish!
Top Review by Chris Reynolds
This was excellent! The only thing I changed was to reduce the amount of brown sugar to 1/2 cup and replace it with 1/2 cup Splenda since we are trying to reduce our sugars. Thanks for sharing, SouthernBelle.
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 loaves French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup strawberry, sliced
- 1 cup kiwi, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter.
- Cook until butter is melted and the mixture is bubbly.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13-inch pan.
- Arrange the bread in the pan, making 2 layers.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture over the bread. (Can be refigerated over night if desired).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Lift edges of the bread with a spatula, and invert onto a serving plate.
- Spoon the sour cream over the toast, and alternate kiwi and strawberries on top.
- Serve immediately.
- I used strawberries only.