Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort food of the highest order, Good stuff!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken (cut into 8 pieces)
- 3⁄4 lb andouille sausage
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 large maui onions or 1 large red onion
- 1 large red bell pepper (I use 1/2 green 1/2 red)
- 8 -10 garlic cloves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups barbecue sauce (spicy)
- 4 -5 pepperoncini peppers (sliced into thin rounds)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar or 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- creole seasoning
- salt and pepper
- Spice the chicken by sprinkling the creole spice and rubbing in for good penetration, pour olive oil into skillet at medium-high heat, when it's hot (not smoking) add chicken pieces and brown for 3 to 4 minutes each side. Put on platter to side, leave about 1 tablespoon from oil from skillet.
- Add onions and peppers to remaining oil adding a dash of salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 Minutes until soft, add garlic and cook 1 minute longer then add the chicken broth, barbecue sauce, bay leaves, pepperoncini, thyme and vinegar and stir, add the chicken pieces skin side up and simmer partially covered over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan slice the andouille sausage into 1/2 inch pieces and cook over medium heat to render out some of the fat, drain on paper towel, add to pot after after the 20 minutes of simmering and flip the chicken (skin side down) and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Skim oil from surface, take out bay leaves and add butter and parsley, serve over rice.