Southern New Years Day tradition. Everyone has their own recipe. This is mine. The prep time includes soaking the peas overnight and the cook time could vary depending on where you live. I have also just thrown everything in a crockpot and let it cook for 8 hours. You can eat it any time, not just for New Year's. It freezes well for once a month cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pick through black eyed peas and remove any that are discolored or yucky looking.
- 2Place in a large bowl with a tight fitting cover.
- 3Add enough water to cover peas with about 2 inches extra.
- 4Place cover on bowl and allow to sit on your counter overnight.
- 5In the morning, pour the peas and water in your cooking vessel.
- 6(This is the step that people disagree on; Some say to drain the peas and use fresh water;Some say to keep the soaking water since it has nutrients in it. Alton Brown agrees with me on this one, use the soaking water.) You may have to add more water anyway.
- 7I use LOTS of water and allow it to cook out.
- 8Add remaining ingredients except rice and cook over very low heat for several hours.
- 9How long depends on many factors.
- 10Higher altitudes must cook longer than those below sea level.
- 11Stir the peas at least once every 1/2 hour, being sure of 2 things: they are not sticking to the pan and when you stir, smoosh some of the peas against the side of your pan to break them since this will create a thicker gravy.
- 12When peas are soft enough to suit you, serve over rice with corn bread and smothered cabbage (Southern "New Year's" Smothered Cabbage) Enjoy your feast for a healthy and prosperous New Year!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans Black Eyed Peas for the New Year
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 656.4
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 97.4 mg
- Sodium 112.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 61.0 g