Recipe by PanNan
This recipe was posted in response to a recipe request. It is from the Cookin' New Orleans Style cookbook. The prep and cook times are estimates. They are cooked when brown on both sides.
Top Review by love4culinary
These are great with loads of powdered sugar... my first bite I accidentally inhaled the sugar and choked LOLOL ;-) They were really delicious..... I had this with a cup of decaf caramel swirl coffee :-) thanks!!!
Directions See How It's Made
- Drop 1/2 cup butter and a pinch of salt into a pan containing 1 cup of hot water.
- Bring to a boil and add 1 cup of sifted flour.
- Stir and cook thoroughly until it comes together and pulls away from the pan.
- Turn off heat and add 4 eggs, beating after each egg you put in.
- Gently flatten the dough and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares (cutting very gently and quickly).
- Drop squares into 375 degree deep fat.
- As the beignets brown, they will turn over by themselves.
- Lay out some heavy brown paper and drain the beignets well on this paper as you remove them from the fat.
- Immediately sprinkle with a generous amount of powdered sugar and serve right away while still hot.
- Great with cafe au lait.
- Be sure to set a castor of powdered sugar on the table so more can be added if needed.