Recipe by TasteTester
Mmmmm -- nothin' better to go along with a weekend breakfast like some warm, gooey, doughy and sweet beignets. We eat them with 10x sugar sifted on top, but some people like pouring cinnamon-maple syrup over them. This is the easy way to make them -- it uses no yeast because it's a "quick bread" variationl
Top Review by Three Kids Make Me Crazy
These were good. I put cinnamon sugar on mine, not realizing I was out of powdered sugar. Not the healthiest breakfast, but a nice treat. And they're fun to watch roll around in the oil lol. Thanks!
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- salad oil
- confectioners' sugar
- cinnamon-maple syrup (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat water, butter, sugar and salt until butter melts and mixture boils.
- Remove pan from heat and add flour all at once. With wooden spoon, vigorously stir until the ingredients are thoroughly combined and mixture leaves side of pan and forms a ball.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Add vanilla.
- Meanwhile, in another 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, heat about 1 1/2 inches salad oil to 375°F Drop heaping teaspoonfuls of dough into hot oil and fry beignets, a few at a time, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- To serve: Sprinkle beignets lightly with some confectioners' sugar, or serve with cinnamon and maple syrup mixture poured over beignets.