1/1 Photo of New Orleans BBQ Cajun Shrimp
I found this recipe online and as I like all things "Cajun" I was not disappointed. This calls for beer, as I have had it in New Orleans. I like it with beer better than the sherry/white wine recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs large shrimp, in the shell see note (21 to 25 count or per pound, fresh or frozen)
- 3 tablespoons cajun spices
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 lb butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 -5 dashes louisiana hot sauce
- 1Combine 3 tablespoons of the cajun spice and 1 tablespoon of the salt in a small bowl.
- 2Rub the shrimp with this mixture.
- 3Place the shrimp in a plastic baggie and refrigerate while you make the sauce.
- 4In a saucepan set over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
- 5Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until soft, but not browned.
- 6Add the beer, oil, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon, lemon juice, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, and cayenne, as well as the pepper, rosemary and 2 teaspoons salt.
- 7Stir to mix.
- 8Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until thick.
- 9Remove from the heat, uncover, and cool to room temperature.
- 10Remove and discard the lemon slices and bay leaves.
- 11Pour 1 1/2 cups of the sauce over the shrimp.
- 12Toss to coat well.
- 13Cover and refrigerate the shrimp for 1 to 2 hours.
- 14Cover and refrigerate the remaining sauce separately and save for dipping.
- 15Prepare a charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill for direct grilling over high heat.
- 16While the grill is heating, reheat the remaining sauce making sure that it doesn't burn.
- 17Remove the shrimp from the pan and discard the marinade.
- 18Grill the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until the shells are pink.
- 19Don't overcook or they will get tough.
- 20Serve with the warm sauce for dipping.
Browse Our Top Cajun Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Orleans BBQ Cajun Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (376 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1005.2
- Calories from Fat 650
- Total Fat 72.2 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 542.1 mg
- Sodium 2840.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 62.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: