- 10 -12 fresh green chilies (or 3 to 4 green bell peppers plus 1 jalepeno pepper)
- 1⁄4 cup minced onions or 1⁄4 cup green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the chiles over a gas flame or under a broiler until the skin is blistered and blackened.
- Place chiles in a paper bag, closed, for about 10 minutes to loosen the skins.
- Rub the skins off the chiles and remove the stems.
- Discard seeds and veins if you want mild sauce.
- Coarsely chop chiles and mix with onions, garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper and cilantro.