Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe posted by request.
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan halves
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup pistachios
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 3 cups bite sized cheese nips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo (3-4 inch)
- 1 tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the nuts, seeds, and cheese nips in a large bowl.
- Combine the butter, cumin and garlic powder in a microwaveable cup.
- Microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or until butter is melted.
- Place the chili sauce, chipotle, orange juice concentrate and butter mixture into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce over nut mixture, stirring to coat.
- Spread mixture in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with the cayenne pepper if using.
- Let cool before packing into jars or containers.
We added quite a bit more cayenne to get more kick. This makes a great gift basket item.
I made this for my DH as a gift, leaving out the chipotle chili (personal preference) and adding instead 1 tsp of smoked paprika ~ he loved it and so did I. Spicy, smokey and a touch of sweetness :) I added the crackers (I used cheddar goldfish crackers) half-way through the baking time, to prevent burning, and they still coated well. This is going to be a new snack mix for our family ~ easy to make and oh so good. Thanks DiB's ~ made for LET'S PARTY TAG, December 2009!
My family loves this recipe! I had to make 2 batches so that I have some for Holiday snacking. It was initially a little frightening when I checked it after the baking time..........it was quite dark, almost looked burned. But not to worry, it tastes great! Thanks for the recipe!