Prep 7 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mother taught me this recipe. When she makes this rice, there's never any left! Using red bell pepper adds some sweetness which works well with the chili. It has a wonderful smokey flavor and now that rotel and similar products are on the market, there's no need to send to New Mexico for green chili!
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) canof rotel chopped green chili peppers (or similar)
- In a heavy pot, fry rice, pepper and onions slowly in the vegetable oil, until golden brown.
- Add water, garlic, tomato sauce and Rotel to the pot.
- Over medium-low heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Very good, and easy to prepare! We loved the flavors from the bell pepper, onion, and chili peppers. Thanks for sharing!