Most New Mexicans don't roll their enchiladas. This is certainly a less time consuming way of making them with the same great results. Sometimes they even add a fried egg on top of each serving. You may add additional meat, cheese or vegetables if you desire. Just remember to bake as soon as assembled because they get soggy if they sit too long. Prep time does not include making the chile sauce.
- Oil a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Dip tortillas in the red chile sauce, to make pliable, and place 4 on the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup onions.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat layers 2 more times, ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350ºF.
- for 30 minutes, or until hot and the cheese is golden.
Made this the other night for just myself & my partner,so i used a smaller baking dish & less tortillas,but it still came out pretty darn good,it was fast & simple to prepare on a night when neither of us felt like cooking.Thank you for posting Miss Annie
These were very good! I used Monterrey Jack cheese. I did find the amount of onion and sauce to be excessive. I used only half the sauce and it was enough. Next time I will cut way back on the onion.
Exactly right!!!!!!!!Have made this for years,glad to see it posted.Dont really need another enchilada recipe after this one.Thanks.